Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I *heart* the track.

Tonight was my second track workout. Ever.

When I was in middle school, the school district had a dirt track. Yeah, dirt. Like gravel. It was still "legal", but nothing like what it should have been for the class A school that it was. I moved right before high school and that school had an asphalt track. Yeah, paved. Like a road. That one wasn't legal and all of our meets were at others schools. So all of my running practice was spent in corridors of the school, on the grass football field, or on the road, with the exception of the meets. Now I pretty much stick to sidewalks and roads, so I've never really had the chance to practice on a track, and hooo eeeeee, is it ever nice! My shins are orgasmically pleased. :)

So last week I made the switch to the FIRST marathon training plan.

I.
Love.
It.

It's 3 weekly runs; 1 track/speed workout, 1 tempo run, and 1 LSD. Perfect for a busy shin-splinted mom of 3 like me. Four runs just wasn't happening for me.

Last week at the track I did 5 x 400m with a warmup and cooldown. This week was 4 x 800 with a 1.5 mile warmup and 1.5 mile cooldown.

My 800m splits (via my almost-shelfed-for-the-new-Garmin Polar F4) were:

1. 4:09
2: 4:09
3: 4:03
4: 4:05

Hmmm...that was a little better than I had anticipated. Quite well, if I do say so myself! That is the same pace that I did my 400s in last week, but obviously for twice as long. Yee haw! My secret (not-so-secret anymore) marathon goal is 4:30. Hopefully these 800s are a good sign that my goal is achievable. That would be fabulous. The marathon is still 10 weeks away so that should leave time for a bit of improvement as well.
___________________________________
Oh yeah, I tried out my fuel belt on my 11-miler last weekend.

It almost made me cry.

You see, when I get mad, really really mad, I cry. Just ask my husband. And I was PISSED at that damn fuel belt. I filled up 2 bottles, strapped it snugly to me and took off, feeling pretty dang official and runneresque. For about 20 feet. Then it would creep up and I would move it back down. Over. And over. And over. My first mile took 14 minutes if that tells you anything. I finally had to ditch the belt in a corn field (no lie) about 3 miles in and stopped and got it on the way back. I felt so freeeeeeeee during those beltless miles. When I came back to the belt - thankfully no one stole it - I figured out that if it was touching my nice and sweaty belly skin that it wouldn't creep up. So it actually stayed put for the last 3 miles, but sexy....oh yeah. Real sexy.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I loved the convenience. I had fluids, licorice (works great for carbs), and GU (still haven't tried it) with me so I didn't have to worry about stopping, but it was a real pain in the ass to get it situated. Where do y'all wear yours? I tried it low on the hips and it would creep up. I tried it way up high and felt like I was 80 years old because it was right under my sports bra. Schexy. It never stayed where I wanted it to --in the middle-- because my wonderful children blessed me with a muffin top and love handles where my slim old waist used to be. It would've stayed put on that old waist ya know. *sigh*

Props to Running Warehouse for the super fast super free delivery. I'll definitely be ordering from them again in the near future. I didn't try out the other belt yet...maybe I'll give it a quick spin up and down the driveway to see if it stays. I'm betting it's going back though. It's not very pretty.
___________________________________
Tonight I did a total of 5 miles. My other 2 runs this week are a 6 mile tempo run on Thursday and my long weekend run is 12 miles.

I still can't believe this is me talking about this many miles.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Congrats on the mileage! What I've found with the fuel belt is that it has be around my natural waist (above my hips but under my ribs) in order to stay put. And the belt has to be fastened fairly snug. I look like a total dork but at least it doesn't move. Of course my real preference is to plant water stops along the route so I don't have to wear it at all. Good luck!

Frayed Laces said...

Way to go on your awesome track workout! I have a fuelbelt as well and basically cinch it down super tight on my natural waist (totally dorky, but whatev). If that still doesn't work for you, may I suggest a camelback or something similar?

Oscar Yeager said...

I hear lots of complaints about fuel belts, but I've never had a problem.

I just wear it tight around the waist, and I don't even really feel the extra weight, or have the "bouncing" problem that others have mentioned.

I'm usually the only one that shows up at 5K'S with double 22 OZ. belt but it's better than relying on those girl scout types that hand you a half full 5-ounce cup at badly placed water stations.